Freelance Science Writer, Washington D.C.; Milwaukee, WI; Portland, OR; Philadelphia, PA. 1985-present.
- Write articles, press releases, pamphlets, book chapters, conference summaries, and scientific reports for a number of publications, organizations and Web sites including the National Academy of Sciences, the National Institutes of Health, the Kavli Foundation, the Centers for Disease Control, the National Library of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, World Resources Institute, the Institute of Human Virology, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, breastcancer.org, onhealth.org, Glamour, Discover, Health, Consumer Reports, Parenting, New Woman, Child, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The Dallas Morning News, The San Francisco Examiner, Physician’s Weekly, The Milwaukee Journal, The Columbus Dispatch, The FDA Consumer, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Endocrine News, and Environmental Science and Technology.
Science Correspondent, Research Resources Information Center, Rockville, MD. 1984-1985.
- Wrote news and feature articles for the Research Resources Reporter, an award-winning magazine on biomedical research published under contract by the National Institutes of Health.
- Wrote congressional reports and rewrote scientific reports.
Science Writer, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI. 1981-1983.
- Wrote press releases and in-depth magazine articles on University of Wisconsin research. Covered a diverse range of subjects including medicine, biology, psychology, genetics, computers, engineering, environment, agriculture, and physics.
- Joint M.S. in environmental studies and soil science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, August 1983. Thesis on wetland restoration.
- B.S. in botany, University of Wisconsin-Madison, May 1978. References will be provided upon request.
Margie Patlak, Science Writer